Monday, October 17, 2011
Toubab!-- A Short Treatise on Foreigners in Senegal
I would just like to put things on hold here and explain a very important word in Wolof: TOUBAB. This word means foreigner, and it is used to describe EVERYONE who isn't Senegalese, but especially white people. Little children love to shout it at me as I walk by. Sometimes they even make up rhymes, and by rhymes I mean saying "Toubab, toubab, toubab" 80 times in a row. Often it is used affectionately, like, "Oh, cute puppy Toubab, he has no clue what's going on." Often it is used in a less affectionate manner, "Oh, cute puppy Toubab, he has no clue what's going on... let's play him and take his money." The latter is less common, but it always pays to be cautious, haha. Anyway, I'll be using this term rather frequently, so now you now!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment